If you want to lose weight the graceful and non-stressful way, then swimming for weight loss will be the perfect solution to that heavy problem of yours. Swimming can be a wonderful form of exercise. It uses almost all the major muscle groups, and places a vigorous demand on your heart and lungs. You can train to swim at a competitive level or you can enjoy a few healthy lengths at your local pool; you decide how much you want to achieve in swimming and set your own pace.
How Good is Swimming for Weight Loss
- Swimming burns calories, so helps you lose weight and swimming for weight loss has been regularly praised for its cardiovascular health benefits, especially for older people.
- Plus the swimmers weight gain could be attributed to an increase in lean muscle mass, which would have changed their body composition without weight loss.
- Swimming is an all-around great workout for cardio and strength. Also, since most people don’t like to bulk up with muscle, swimming is the perfect physical activity for building lean, toned muscle.
- It’s also a great way to relax and loosen up the body. If you have a lot on your mind, a leisurely swim is a wonderful way to de-stress. Stiff joints or muscles? A good swim is the answer to loosen up and stretch those muscles.
- Even if you do not know how to swim, a pool can help you get an effective calorie-burning workout. Deep water walking burns more calories than walking on solid ground because of the resistance of the water. Water fitness classes also provide an opportunity to exercise in a group setting, without the impact of traditional aerobics.
- Regular swimming when losing weight will improve your health and may reduce the risk of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke.
- When you do finish a swim workout, take a sauna, a steam, hot tub, or a hot shower to help heat your body. Also try sipping on some hot herbal tea as a post-workout drink.
Lastly, keep in mind that being overweight is the major cause of many serious and fatal diseases, so its not just about looking and feeling better, but actually having better health overall. Swimming can be a fun activity to add to your workout routine, whether you’re a novice or a master. Enjoy!